Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Adjust your technique and your attitude will follow

I learned a great lesson today and thought I should share it. The best part was learning it from my 3 year old son! He attends summer camp at the same place where he goes to preschool during the school year but for some reason he has a hard time transitioning at drop off time lately. He complains all morning before we leave, about not wanting to go to camp and then cries when it is time for me to leave. His counselors assure me that he always stops crying before I pull away and each day when I pick him up he is all smiles and tells me "I am happy", "I had a fun time". This of course makes me happy but does little to help me as I drive away each morning full of guilt for leaving my baby sad and crying. Today it was the same story, at first.. I decided on the car ride to make a little adjustment and started alking about a fun topic. By the time we got to camp we were going back and forth spouting out silly names that we would call our dog if we ever were to get one. He got out of the car laughing at "Popcorn and Shoelace" and all of the camp staff commented on how much they loved seeing his smile. When I left he was learning the real names of everyone's dog and laughing at the idea of calling one of them Jelly Bean. Such a minor adjustment made all the difference in the world. We were able to come up with an exciting alternative to our morning routine and I realized that all of us can do this whenever we dread an upcoming event or simply are not in the mood to tackle our agenda. We have the power to adjust our own mood by re-channeling our own thoughts and it's a wonderful thing to do when your attitude needs a little lift. The next time you are on your way to work or the grocery store or somewhere you aren't dying to get to, think of new ideas that make you happy and your experience will be much more enjoyable. We can learn from people of all ages and a great lesson was taught today! Smile and reorganize your thoughts to get to a place of happiness and joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment